Tuesday, August 18, 2009

They Get It.




I'm not ashamed to say that this made me tear up a bit. This is the best ad for mental health advocacy I've ever seen. Plus it just helps to know that there are other people dealing with it and frustrated at peoples lack of education on what the mental health condition does. Like one guy's response in the video when a woman said that she wouldn't want to live next to some one with a history of mental health problems because she had children. He replied with "Why? I'm pretty sure we don't eat babies."

I'm spamming the shit out of this video because it's amazing. If it evokes a strong reaction in you like it did me, join me in spreading the word yo. People don't get that mental disorders do kill. Only instead of your body dying, your brain is telling you to kill your body. Schizophrenia actually propels significant loss of gray matter in the brain.

As I've said time and time again, mental illness is real, mental illness can be treated, mental illness should never be overlooked, and it's NOT a choice.

So there. lol


*EDIT*
I found another!!!



Wow. Cancer was easier to deal with than depression. Holy fuck.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of the Time To Change campaign. They've made quite a few videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ttcnow2008

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady!!! Long time no post! Though, who am I to talk? I really love that campaign. It's strange because it's UK based and there is way more of a mental stigma associated with mental illness than there is here in the States. BUT everyone here takes mental illness so lightly because they believe that EVERYONE is "depressed" or have "ADD". They're aren't really educated to understand that depression isn't something that happens after you get dumped, it's something that sometimes has no trigger and is EXTREMELY harmful. They also think that a hyper kid has ADD. There are so many other symptoms that must be present in order to be diagnosed.

    I wish there was a campaign that globally tried to educate as well as remove the stigma. I wish Time to Change had more ads here.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, tell me about it with depression not being "something that happens after you get dumped, it's something that sometimes has no trigger and is EXTREMELY harmful". Perfectly put. Even my new GP said to me when I told her I was on antidepressants: "Why is a pretty girl like you depressed?" I mean thanks for the compliment and all, but 1) my looks or anything else about my life has no bearing on my depression, it's a medical condition and 2) I don't even know how to begin answering that question, it's not like "my cat died and now I'm depressed". I get asked all the time "why are you depressed?", like there must be a clear, simple reason for it as a result of something in my life. It's so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete